Dealing with a high volume of appointments can be a challenging task for healthcare providers. A 2018 survey found that a physician has 11 to 20 patients a day. Since the pandemic, the number of patients seeking medical assistance and appointments has significantly risen.
In 2020, 83.4% of adults and 93.2% of children were recorded to have visited their doctors in the past. With the volume of visits and appointments constantly increasing, more healthcare professionals are turning to an efficient solution – outsourcing their appointment scheduling.
Outsourcing appointment scheduling is a practical and efficient solution for healthcare providers who face a large volume of patients needing medical services every day. It helps streamline the workflow, minimize administrative burden, and improve patient engagement which ultimately enhances the overall health service delivery of the hospital.
In this article, let’s take a deep dive into how outsourcing appointments can help healthcare providers.
Table of Contents
What Does It Mean to Outsource Appointment Scheduling?
Outsourcing appointment scheduling is a rapidly growing trend in the business industry, where healthcare professionals tap into third-party organizations to handle calls from patients who want to schedule a visit with their doctors. It is a highly practical and proficient solution for hospitals dealing with a high volume of doctor appointments every day.
Healthcare appointment scheduling professionals are trained and specialized in taking calls from patients who need to schedule a doctor visit. They have the tools and expertise to efficiently manage appointments, ensuring seamless coordination between patients and healthcare providers.
When a company decides to outsource, it forms a strategic partnership with another company that specializes in the field. This paves the way for operational efficiency and allows your organization to focus on the global business desire for operation efficiency.
Benefits Of Outsourced Healthcare Appointment Scheduling
Outsourced appointment scheduling liberates the in-house resources of the business to focus on areas of strategic importance, while the outsourced tasks are handled by external experts.
Outsourcing appointment scheduling has better value creation and more competitive advantage over others, such as:
- Increased Accessibility: Outsourced appointment scheduling allows healthcare facilities to provide 24/7 access to schedule appointments, enhancing patient convenience and accessibility.
- Cost Efficiency: Hiring a third-party service to handle appointment scheduling can be more cost-effective than maintaining an in-house team, as it reduces overhead costs such as training, salaries, and benefits.
- Focus on Core Services: With the administrative task of scheduling outsourced, healthcare providers can turn their focus and resources on providing better patient care.
- Enhanced Patient Satisfaction: Professional appointment schedulers have the skills and tools to manage appointments efficiently, reduce wait times, and promptly address rescheduling, leading to improved patient satisfaction.
- Scalability: As the healthcare facility grows, an outsourced service can easily scale up to handle the increased demand.
- Expertise: Outsourced services are experts in handling appointment scheduling, ensure adherence to all the necessary regulations, and can handle peak call volumes efficiently.
When Do You Need to Outsource Appointment Scheduling?
As your healthcare office gains momentum, operations, including patient appointments, can become rather overwhelming. In such situations, there is a rising need to outsource appointment scheduling. Simplifying office management tasks can improve overall customer service, promoting business efficiency and growth.
When you should definitely outsource appointment scheduling:
- Overwhelming call volumes that strain existing resources
- A growing patient population demanding after-hours accessibility
- A need for more efficient appointment reminders and follow-ups
- Demand for excellent customer service to enhance patient experience and engagement
- A need to lower staffing costs
Opting to outsource appointment scheduling services can also bring substantial financial benefits. Substituting the cost of labor, equipment, and supplies required to maintain an in-house appointment scheduling system with an affordable outsourcing service can significantly reduce overall business expenses.
Therefore, when administrative tasks start to interfere with care delivery or when the office operations become too robust to handle efficiently, that’s when it’s time to consider healthcare outsourcing. Remember, a better-managed business equates to satisfied customers and higher sales.
Appointment Scheduling in Healthcare Challenges and Opportunities
Just like any other service, appointment scheduling has its own strengths and weaknesses. However, by understanding its pros and cons, you can gain a better perspective in navigating the hurdles and capitalizing on the potential benefits. The following are the opportunities in hiring a third-party organization to handle appointment-setting tasks.
- Improved Patient Experience: Implementing an efficient appointment scheduling system can enhance the overall patient experience. Online booking platforms, personalized reminders, and streamlined processes can reduce wait times, leading to increased patient satisfaction.
- Optimized Resource Allocation: An effective appointment scheduling system allows healthcare providers to optimize their resources, such as doctors’ time, medical equipment, and staff. By managing appointments more efficiently, hospitals can reduce idle time and ensure that resources are utilized effectively, leading to cost savings and better operational efficiency.
- Enhanced Data Analytics and Predictive Planning: Digital appointment scheduling systems provide valuable data insights. Hospitals can analyze appointment patterns, patient demographics, and no-show rates. You can use this data for predictive planning, allowing healthcare providers to anticipate demand, allocate resources effectively, and adjust staffing levels based on historical appointment data.
The following are the challenges of medical scheduling services:
- Data Security and Privacy Concerns: One of the significant challenges in hiring a healthcare appointment scheduling service for hospitals is ensuring the security and privacy of patient data. Hospitals deal with sensitive medical information, and any breach in data security can lead to legal consequences and damage the hospital’s reputation. This is why it is vital to choose a highly reputable appointment scheduling service.
- Integration with Existing Systems: Hospitals often have complex existing systems for managing patient records, billing, and other administrative tasks. Integrating a new appointment scheduling service seamlessly into these systems can be challenging and may require significant technical expertise and resources.
- Maintaining Personalized Patient Care: While automated scheduling systems can enhance efficiency, there is a risk of losing the personalized touch in patient interactions. Ensuring that patients still feel cared for and valued in the scheduling process is essential to maintain patient satisfaction and trust in the healthcare services provided.
How PatientCalls Can Help You With Outsourcing Healthcare Appointment Scheduling?
In today’s fast-paced healthcare industry, appointment setting can become a cumbersome task. With over 20 years of experience in the field, PatientCalls Medical Answering Service has mastered the process of outsourced appointment scheduling. Our team of professionals manages peak call volumes efficiently, ensures HIPAA compliance, and treats each call with the individualized attention that patients deserve.
By outsourcing your scheduling tasks to us, you can enable your in-house team to focus on what really matters – providing exceptional patient care. Experience the benefits of increased accessibility, cost efficiency, enhanced patient satisfaction, and more.
Ready to transform your healthcare scheduling system? Trust in our two decades of experience and witness the positive impact. Contact PatientCalls today to get started!